Delicious vegetarian, oven-baked biryani curry recipe
This one-pot, baked butternut squash biryani is the mess-free meal you need in your life.
Not a fan of squash?
This recipe will also work well with sweet potato, aubergine or mushrooms.
320g butternut squash, cubed
2 large tomato
3 garlic cloves
3 cardamom pods
15g fresh root ginger
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tbsp curry powder
11g veg stock powder
130g basmati rice
4 tbsp yogurt
10g fresh coriander
1. Preheat the oven to 200oC
2. Prep all your veg and additions ready to add to the pot:
- chop the squash into chunks
- roughly chop tomatoes
- peels and crush garlic cloves
- crush cardamom pods to split open
- peel and slice ginger in half.
3. Heat a large oven-proof dish on the hob over a high heat. Add the squash then and after a few minutes add the tomatoes and garlic.
4. Add the cardamom, ginger, ground turmeric, curry powder and bay leaf to the pot.
5. Dissolve veg stock powder in 350ml boiled water and add to the pot along with the basmati rice.
6. Stir, bring to the boil, and then put in the oven with a lid on for 15-20mins.
7. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes with the lid on.
8. Serve with a dollop of greek yogurt, sliced green chilli and chopped coriander.
! Discard the ginger halves and bay leaf before eating !