This is the dish which converted me to loving aubergine.
Aubergine used to be a hard pass for me. I thought it was mushy and always seemed too slimy for my liking. But that's only because I'd never tried it roasted and coated in this sweet, sticky sauce with a kick of heat.
26 years and still finding new foods I love!
Sticky Aubergine with Chilli and Ginger Recipe
1 lemongrass stalk
120g long grain rice
1 red onion
Root ginger (thumb sized piece)
2 garlic cloves
30ml soy sauce
1/2 tsp cornflour
1 tsp chilli flakes
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 spring onion
1 Preheat the oven to 180C fan
2. In a saucepan, cook the rice in 250ml cold water and lemongrass (squish this with a rolling pin first). Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10mins until the water has absorbed.
3. Chop the aubergines into chunks, chop the onion into wedges, crush the garlic and finely chop the peeled ginger.
4. Spread the aubergine out on a tray and roast in a drizzle of olive oil and seasoning for 20mins.
5. In a bowl, mix together soy sauce, rice vinegar, cornflour, sugar and chilli flakes with a splash of cold water (4 tbsp).
6. Fry the onion wedges in olive oil until softened, then add the garlic, ginger and roasted aubergine chunks.
7. Pour in the soy chilli sauce to thicken up in the pan and mix everything together.
9. Remove the lemongrass from the rice and serve with chopped spring onion and coriander, enjoy!
What could you swap in this recipe?
Not an eggplant fan? Try chestnut mushrooms, roasted squash or courgette to be the star of this dish. You'll want something that roasts well and really takes on flavour.
Thanks for taking a look at this recipe for Sticky Chilli & Ginger Aubergine, maybe some of the other recipes on the blog will be right up your street!
Nutrition Upon Tyne